Friday, November 11, 2005

paper plate lithography...

Here are a few pictures, well actually prints, also known as paperplate lithos, or photo lithos.
Basically, these are black and white photos I took of my children which I scanned into my computer, cropped, edited, etc... I printed them out and photocopied them on a black and white photocopier, a printer that uses toner, not ink. Then I coated the pictures in the wonder serum, Gum Arabic. It sticks to every part of the page but the toner. The gum repels oils, thus when oil based ink is rolled over the image, it sticks only to the toner... The plate is thus created. It is then run through the press and some really beautiful images can be created. These images are printed on deliciously lush hand made mulberry paper. The computer doesn't do them justice. They look like photos from feudal Japan or from a Kurasawa samarai movie. Old and textured.
I am doing an independent study that utilizes this process as well as photo etching. Photo etching is a process that perhaps I will tpuch on in a later entry...

No comments: