Tuesday, November 08, 2005

graffiti

After last week's graffiti discussion was really interesting. It took me backward in time. Back in the days before I had children, when I was a young hellion myself, I was intrigued by graffiti art amongst other things. As I got older and moved to a smaller city I lost contact with my graffiti friends. I stopped hanging out outside at night on the steps of the New Haven courthouse or in the midst of the mighty old building that comprise the campus of Yale. In a time and a place where the city and all of its elements made up my environment and affected my moods I loved the idea of graffiti. Now that I think about it, after I left the big city and moved to Maine where I hung around outside less I began to fill my own interior blank walls with art kind of like graffiti. I had a huge mural of human-size goblin-like things that I did in sidewalk chalk in my kitchen. Really appetizing. The walls of the dining room were filled entirely with the traced and filled sillhouettes of all of my guests. It was like a constant party. Funny to think that perhaps those pieces of mine were somehow influenced by graffiti. Oh, and yes I was renting and they did keep my security deposit even though the walls were so much nicer after I had gotten a hold of them. Wish I had pictures.

No comments: